Check Your Sitelinks
Google often rewards the top placement for a branded search with several additional listings, called Sitelinks, which link to other internal pages on your site. Assuming, for a moment, that you come up number one in Google when searching for your company name, you want to see what Google is using for your Sitelinks and do what you can to get Google to link directly to your preferred pages.
Google gives you the ability to influence these Sitelinks to display what you believe to be the best links for your site. While you cannot simply tell Google which links to use, you can demote links you do not like and force Google to pick new ones.
To check your Sitelinks
- Do a Google search for your company and see what links are displayed. (NOTE: If you are not the first result you will not see any Sitelinks. You should focus on other SEO efforts to come up first for your brand.)
- If you are unsatisfied with any of the links, sign in to your Google Webmaster Tools account.
- Navigate to Search Appearance>Sitelinks
- Demote links you are unsatisfied with.
- Repeat this process until you are satisfied with all Sitelinks.
Having good Sitelinks on the Google results page can help let a searcher know your site has the content they're looking for and make them more likely to visit the site. So check up on your Sitelinks and make sure they are serving up useful pages.
About the Marketing Bite
Marketing Bites are short actionable tips to help you market your business. Each Bite contains a marketing idea and an easy to complete action. The Marketing Bite is emailed weekly to subscribers.
"You offer such great information - I feel like I am gaining a bigger and smarter marketing presence. Thank you so much!" -Pamela
"Thanks. I have been getting a lot of value from [the Marketing Bite]. If I need help with marketing on the web in the future, I know where to find the experts." -Jodi
Need a Website?Get a Quote
- Marketing Bite: Simplify Your Homepage Text
Thu, Mar 02 2017 3:21 pm
- Marketing Bite: Connect with Email Subscribers on Facebook
Thu, Feb 16 2017 3:34 pm
- Marketing Bite: Use Attribution Modeling to Tune Your Online Marketing Budget
Thu, Feb 09 2017 4:47 pm
- Marketing Bite: Hone Your Marketing Approach Using Customer Observations
Thu, Feb 02 2017 3:38 pm
- Marketing Bite: Test Your Mailing List Signup
Thu, Jan 26 2017 5:30 pm
- Marketing Bite: Read Facebook's Admin's Guide to Moderating Your Page
Thu, Jan 12 2017 4:43 pm