Tag Your Links to Evaluate Marketing Campaigns
Tagging incoming links to your website to determine where your traffic is coming from is a practice we've discussed before. We're bringing it up again because it's an essential step for evaluating your marketing campaigns.
By using unique identifiers for different marketing campaigns or other sources (such as Facebook, Bing, or paid ads), you'll be able to see in your Google Analytics reports how many people have clicked through to your site from that campaign or source. In your MightyMerchant Order Manager, you'll even be able to tell how many orders originated with a click from one of these campaigns!
Tagging a link is as simple as adding a snippet of text to the end of that link. The format of your tags will depend on which system you will use to track your links:
- Google Analytics uses a tag called a UTM tag. For information on formatting UTM tags, please read our brief article How to Track Your Marketing Campaigns.
- MightyMerchant uses a tag called a Referral ID (rid). For information on creating and formatting rids, and how rids can be combined with Google Analytics tags, please visit our documentation on Using the Referral ID (rid) to Track Referral Sources for Your Orders. This documentation also discusses where you can find tracking information data in your Order Manager.
Once you begin to accumulate link tracking data from your Marketing Campaigns, you'll gain a better understanding of where your marketing time and dollars are best spent in the future.
About the Marketing Bite
Marketing Bites are short actionable tips to help you market your business. Each Bite contains a marketing idea and an easy to complete action. The Marketing Bite is emailed weekly to subscribers.
"You offer such great information - I feel like I am gaining a bigger and smarter marketing presence. Thank you so much!" -Pamela
"Thanks. I have been getting a lot of value from [the Marketing Bite]. If I need help with marketing on the web in the future, I know where to find the experts." -Jodi
Need a Website?Get a Quote
- Marketing Bite: Connect with Email Subscribers on Facebook
Thu, Feb 16 2017 3:34 pm
- Marketing Bite: Use Attribution Modeling to Tune Your Online Marketing Budget
Thu, Feb 09 2017 4:47 pm
- Marketing Bite: Hone Your Marketing Approach Using Customer Observations
Thu, Feb 02 2017 3:38 pm
- Marketing Bite: Test Your Mailing List Signup
Thu, Jan 26 2017 5:30 pm
- Marketing Bite: Read Facebook's Admin's Guide to Moderating Your Page
Thu, Jan 12 2017 4:43 pm
- Marketing Bite: Review Searchmetrics Latest Ranking Factors Report
Thu, Jan 05 2017 4:50 pm