SiteBeat - MightyMerchant Monthly Newsletter > October 2008
Greetings From HEROweb/MightyMerchant!
October was a busy month and, darn it, we did not quite squeak in under the wire for our SiteBeat newsletter. But there is no time to worry about that now - in ecommerce land it is time to forge ahead and start ratcheting up our marketing efforts for the holiday shopping season. Even though consumer spending will be a little tighter this year, there is no question that shoppers are going to be spending more of their money online as ecommerce shopping is still on the rise. If you haven't already done so, check out our blog at http://blog.mightymerchant.com for some holiday website tuning ideas.
In This Issue
HEROweb gets a great reception at the Eugene Business-to-Business Expo.
Site re-launch: www.hero-web.com
Bandwidth usage limits will go into effect 1/1/09
Referral special through December 31, 2008
ConstantContact signup bonus
-- Score a great review of your product or site
-- Managing Email Quotas
Welcoming New MightyMerchant Clients
-- October brings with it five new customers to the MightyMerchant family (and one complete site makeover that we are excited about).
Biz Expo Success - HEROweb makes its mark at the Eugene Business-to-Business Expo. With this tough economy, now is the time to get your creative juices flowing and pull out all the "low-cost" stops to promote the best your business has to offer. We have been working hard to boost our local presence and have started doing business in the Lane County area as HEROweb Marketing and Design.
On October 16th HEROweb had a successful outing at the Eugene Business-to-Business Expo. A little creative marketing can never hurt. With owner, Michael Stearns, donning a super-hero costume, a Guitar Hero contest at the booth, and our HERO News comic strip being distributed throughout the conference hall, we left our mark and got some great coverage in the local media.
HEROweb Site Relaunch - In conjunction with the Business Expo event, we have re-launched our HEROweb site with a whole new look. Check it out at http://www.hero-web.com. Who said you can't do some serious business and have a little fun at the same time.
Bandwidth Charges - Beginning in January 2009, we will start metering and charging for bandwidth usage. Don't panic: the bandwidth charges will affect only a small percentage of our customers. We will contact you if you will be affected. Customers using under 10 gigabytes of outgoing bandwidth per month will not incur any additional costs. Usage over 10 gigs per month will be bill at $10 per 5 gigabyte increments.
Referral Special Through December - Our current customers are our best spokespeople and we appreciate all the referrals we get. Anytime you refer a customer to us you receive a referral bonus. Through the end of December we are rewarding all new referral signups with an extra bonus. For any customer referral through the end of '08, the referring business will get cash or a hosting credit worth 3 months of the new customer's hosting rate.
ConstantContact Signup Bonus - If you haven't been doing any email marketing, here is a great offer to get you started. Direct email marketing is a low-cost way to reach customers and drive them to your website. This month's special could be just the thing to get you going. Sign up for our Constant Contact integration package and we will throw in the design of your newsletter template for free! Click here to learn the details of our ConstantContact integration.
Marketing Tip - Score a Great Review of Your Product or Site
A non-biased review of your product or site on a highly visible blog or forum is worth its weight in marketing gold. Here's how you can make it happen:
1. Research. Find the locations on the web where people talk about products such as yours. It could be blogs, forums such as Google groups, social networking sites, or product review sites.
2. Get the Word Out. Put together a short and compelling email about your product explaining what is remarkable or unique about it. Consider "seeding" your product to bloggers or other prolific communicators. http://prweb.com is a great site for distributing press releases. Many review sites are thirsting for unique items to feature; try contacting the owner directly. Make sure that the reviewer knows where on your site you want them to direct their link.
3. Pay Attention. Assuming someone bites and puts some information out about your products, you want to be aware of it. They might say something good or they could say something bad. On a forum or blog, be ready to chime in with some humble thanks, additional info, clarifications, or defense of your product. Active participation can be a real positive on the web.
4. Analyze. Once you get a review (and, hopefully, an incoming link) watch your statistics to see what kind of traffic you are getting from the review. If you see a lot of inbound traffic, but no orders, make sure that you have a good, strong buying message on your landing page. Consider tuning the text on the page to speak to the people who are coming from the review.
Quick Tip - Managing Your Email Quota
If you have an email account through HEROweb/MightyMerchant, you might receive those pesky emails from time to time, telling you that your email account is approaching its quota. Each account has a quota associated with it and you will get a reminder to get rid of some messages when your account is over 80 percent full. Your mail box can get full from a long-term accumulation of small email messages or a sudden burst of emails with large photos - such as those high resolution photos from your cousins wedding! Here's what you need to do:
1. Log into your account via webmail by going to:
(you need to know your username and password)
You will see a meter in the top left showing your quota usage.
2. Look in each mailbox, including the Trash, Spam, and Sent Messages to evaluate what is gobbling up all the space.
3. If you would like to clear out an entire folder, go to Email menu -> Folder Manager and click "Purge" to clear out the folder.
The system has a little quirk in that the meter at the top left does not always refresh until you log out and log back into your account.
If you would like to increase your quota for your email account, please contact us.
Welcoming New MightyMerchant Clients
BirdiemanCustomClubs.com - Custom made golf clubs at affordable prices
FlyingClipper.com (site makover) - The world's leading designer of high-quality handmade footbags & juggle balls
C-F-D.org (Center for Family Development) - Dedicated to supporting family relationships in Lane County, Oregon
GetSolidNow.com - Complete engineered foundation repair systems serving Eugene/Springfield, and surrounding areas
OiOiBabyBags.com - Sophisticated Baby bags with over 40 styles available
ArtGeckoShop.com - Imported jewelry, housewares, clothing and furniture from Indonesia, Nepal, India, Mexico and Bolivia.
Thanks for checking out SiteBeat. We value your business and look forward to hearing from you on ways we can serve you better.
Thank you, from all of us here at the HEROweb/MightyMerchant team!